Thursday, March 28, 2013

Somewhere Over the...


Rainbow!  That's my Spring Crop Challenge for you!  You don't have to follow the exact order of the rainbow.  

I love rainbows!  Last year for our daughter's birthday, she wanted a rainbow theme...so I made lots of rainbow things.  Here's a few:
Party Goody bags
She was afraid of the smoke from blowing out the candles, so I made a fake candle.
And here is what I came up with for the crop.  
I had the idea to use the Studio Calico mask in Daffodil Hill and spray rows of each color for a rainbow.  It takes a little longer, because you want to mask off the "other" rows while spraying one row.  I always use a box and scraps of papers to help with this.
Pick out your favorite mists for the rainbow.  I loved this orange, but it was too dark, so I added a few drops to the little mister along with a few white mist drops and some water to make my own soften the color.
 I didn't want to waste all that wet mist on the mask, so I stamped with it on the cardstock as well.
 The top row is where I misted and masked, and the bottom left is the stamped image.
After this dried, I sent it through the Silhouette and cut out a several different shapes and sizes of arrows.  I wasn't sure how I wanted them to look on the layout, so I went through more of my stencils and used this large sun ray mask by Julie Balzer, then I knew I would have the photo in the center, with the arrows pointing in.
I couldn't help but use this St. Patrick's Day celebration photo of us at the parade since the theme was rainbows.  So I had to add some gold to it as well with the gold polka dot vellum, gold to the number 3 and POW (glittery American Crafts paper) cut with the Silhouette.  Can you see the masked and misted rainbow chevrons under the photo?  I didn't want to waste any of the masked and misted papers, so I used some under the photo.
I was really having fun with this so far and wanted to do something I haven't done in a long time, add a little doodling to each arrow and some of the other masked and inked shapes.  Added some messy stitching
And one more project.  I still had that stamped image from the left over ink.  I couldn't waste it, so I made a card from it.
Both the card and the layout uses bits from the Daffodil kit, but I brought it more "rainbow" elements and colors with my own supplies.
 I love how the stamped image looks, and it made a quick and easy card.
So how will you use rainbows in your project?  I'll have an album set up in our Facebook group named "Somewhere Over the *Rainbow* Challenge" for you to add your challenge projects to it!  Can't wait to see what you make!

2 comments:

listgirl said...

This is fantastic, Patricia! So inspirational!

Unknown said...

UM this layout is INCREDIBLE. I am absolutely in LOVE with it & think it is beyond inspiring, you GO girl!